Sunday, January 17, 2010

Are the Beatles in town?

So my good girlfriend (let's call her Trixie) owns a fantastic restaurant in town. Very cool atmosphere, with delicious inventive food. Trix called yesterday and asked if there was anyway I could come in and help with Sunday brunch since an employee was unavailable. Of course I'll help my girl out.

I get there at 9:20 (it opens at 9:30) and virtually have to break thru the crowd to get into the restaurant. As I approached, I thought, "Is Lady Gaga brunching in Racine? Perhaps George Clooney decided the Bananas Foster French Toast is the perfect snack before the Golden Globes." This celebrity-worthy mob of folks was here for one reason: to eat.

It made me think that there are only a few things that I deem worthwhile standing in line for:
  • Awesome concert tickets
  • The elusive Xmas toy that makes it's appearance every year. My Mom did it for my Cabbage Patch Kid 30 years ago, and this year I was a line-standing fool for the Zhu-Zhu.
  • Mouth-watering, delectable food

Eating great food is an experience, and one that I definitely think merits some patient (or impatient) waiting. It's one of the only activities you can partake in that will allow for all five senses to be engaged. To top that off, who doesn't like breakfast food? Many a foodie will tell you that the perfectly made egg is the mark of a good chef.

The dream of dancing eggs bennies diving into pools of hollandaise brought people out in droves this morning. I know I would rather wait in line for a steaming plate of chilaquiles over the possibility of a Brangelina sighting. Just remember that good food is worth waiting for and the 30 minute standing time will be a fleeting memory after taking that first bite of pure yum.

1 comment:

  1. Undoubtedly the food draws them to "Trixie's" place. Unfortunately for me, eggs make me a little sick. Literally they set my stomach going in the wrong direction. It's always been that way. I'm hoping for some food inspiration by following this blog. Hmmmmm....Jicama, Grapefruit & Avocado salad? Now we're talking!

    ReplyDelete