Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Sometimes you need trashy food

So, my neighbor and her children are coming over to eat tonight for what we call "Community Dinner". Usually, every Wednesday morning we talk, open our fridges, and decide what will be made for the night. Yesterday, we made a pit-stop at Woodman's due to being close by, and bought all the fixings to make Panang Curry and other Thai side dishes. I'm thinking we are one day ahead of ourselves and what a wonderful little ethnic feast we have planned for the next night.

Not the case. I just got off the phone with my girl and she folded to the demanding palates of her kiddos and took them out for Thai last night. Being the host, I don't want to force-feed the kids virtually the same stuff two nights in a row, for that would cuisine cruelty. She mentions the kids have been asking about my "White Trash Casserole".

In one swift swoop, we go from the harmonious combination of Thai sweet/spicy/salty to a pile of potatoes, ground beef, cheddar cheese, and condensed vegetable soup. I'm making it sound so appetizing, right? Just because the WTC can be found baking in the ovens across the country's trailer parks doesn't mean that it's not a tasty treat. Every once in a while, you need to turn up your nose at your inner food snob and indulge in a culinary trashtastic feast.

So, curry paste, fish sauce, dried chilies, back to the pantry you go. Tonight I'm trading in my apron for my cleanest wife beater tank.

1 comment:

  1. you are hilarious! i love your blog.
    I'm your #1 fan and a supporting sister!!

    ReplyDelete