Saturday, January 16, 2010

Jicama, Grapefruit & Avocado Salad

I would like to thank the painted fruit bowl that I purchased in Mexico 10 years ago. You are a dedicated holder of produce and you beautifully display your passengers. Today as I glanced over at this glossy vessel I noticed it's contents: grapefruit, jicama, and avocados. The wheels started turning and I thought that the unity of potential flavors sitting within that bowl could make a ridiculously delicious salad. Thank God for inspiration! Seriously people. This salad was the BOMB. The acidity of the grapefruit paired with the smoothness of the avocado along with the crunch of the jicama, made my mouth so happy. My taste buds were high-fiving each other from start to finish.

I cannot stress how incredible tasty this salad was and please remember this when you look at the picture and think, "What??????" That salad?" Ignore my crappy picture taking abilities for the time being and take my word for it. Make this salad and you will be a culinary superhero for the day.

Jicama, Grapefruit & Avocado Salad

1/2 jicama sliced in inch long strips
1 grapefruit with skin & pith removed cut in bite-size pieces
2 avocados cubed
2 TBL. fresh basil cut in strips
1/2 tsp. black (or white) sesame seeds

Dressing

1 TBL. lime juice
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. mirin
2 tsp. rice vinegar
1/2 tsp. wasabi powder

Combine all ingredients for dressing and whisk so that dressing is smooth and without clumps. Add all ingredients in a large salad bowl and toss lightly so that avocado stays in cubes and doesn't become mushy. Add dressing to salad and lightly toss again. Serve immediately and then call me and thank me for the party that is happening in your mouth.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds so tasty. I love your blog Daniela. Don't give up on your dream! They'd be fools not to hire you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dawn! You should definitely try this salad. Too bad you don't hire for TOH! I will not give up! Thanks for reading the blog! Daniela

    ReplyDelete