Sunday, January 10, 2010

Mission Statement

Okay, so I don't want to get all Jerry Maguire on your asses but I do feel that I need to provide a purpose for this blog, because honestly, it's the only reason that I'm writing this:

I WANT A JOB AT TASTE OF HOME MAGAZINE

As long as I remember, I have been cooking. I remember always having an interest in food and flavors and being open to trying new things. Being that my parents are from Europe, I have been exposed to very un-American food from the get-go. I still cringe to think that I begged for chicken hearts plucked directly from the carcass when I was just a wee babe. I can happily say that I came from a home where cooking took place on a regular basis and proudly never had a taste of boxed macaroni and cheese until college.

So, that brings me to college. I graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a BA in Journalism. I do not have a degree in Food Science. Yes, I did take one Food Science class in school but it bored me to pieces. My idea of food science was to open the fridge in the home that I shared with eight other women and create crazy casseroles with random ingredients. Yes, food stuffs that were found in between cases of beer, cheap wine, and bagels (remember the early 90's when carbs were not scary?) all became friends in a collective melange of savory flavor. The ability to improvise as such earned me the nickname of 'Dinty Moore' from my college roomies. I liked feeding everybody and the fact that I would have to pick off wart removal pads from the produce living in the veggie drawer didn't deter me from whipping up some home cooking for my ramen and saltine eating roommates.

So, you may ask why I even bring up college in the first place. Well, in order to get pretty much any job in the test kitchen of Taste of Home magazine, you need to have a degree in Food Science. Even to clean the damn kitchen. Seriously.

Well, I'm not going back to school to get this degree. I don't really want to toot my own horn, but I do feel that my cooking experience, knowledge, and passion will far surpass that of most owners of a BS in Food Science. But I do want a job at Taste of Home and this is what they require. How do I know that this is a prerequisite with no exceptions you may ask? Well I have sent my resume (which is marketing/advertising driven) to them a ridiculous amount of times for ANY job posting which involves employment in the test kitchen and..........they ignore me. I'm fairly certain that they think I'm a total nut-job who is more likely to use the test kitchen to whip up some cannabilistic cuisine.

So, let's call this blog Plan B. I will be using this as a forum to mostly discuss my cooking, my attempts to attract attention at Taste of Home magazine, and to call in any favors to ANYBODY who may read this in hopes that they know of someone who works there that can help this girl out.

You may need to give me a second in finding my way around in blog-land. While I feel completely at ease in beating egg whites to perfect, fluffy peaks to turn out an incredible Julia Child's cheese souffle, my comfort level here is akin to the new kid's first day at school. Let me feel my way around and I'm sure that I'll be more relaxed by the time we all head to the cafeteria for lunch.

5 comments:

  1. Great mission statement! Can't wait to read more! Best of luck and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work! I know no one at that magazine but wish you all the luck in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dream big, because dreams do come true! rules are not written in stone... there is always a chance for those who trust themselves and dare to do the seemingly impossible with heart... follow your passion, and never, ever give up! because it's never too late! i wish you all the best! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. food science degree! sniff! Girl, I've tasted your cooking - you don't need no stinkin' food science degree. Great blog - great idea. I'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know you, but I'd hire you on good old fashioned work ethic and passion!

    I think needing a BS is just that. Total.

    ReplyDelete