Thursday, January 28, 2010

Cuckoo for Coconut


Frigid Wisconsin winters make me long for anything and everything that has to do with summer. I close my eyes and I picture myself on a beach with the sand in between my toes, sipping a pina colada. For many years now, I've always craved anything made with coconut in the dead of winter (or frozen hell).

I was OVERJOYED to find a local Indian grocery store that carries unsweetened coconut at a very reasonable price. You can find bags of sweetened coconut at every grocery store but locating the unsweetened variety is like catching a glimpse of the elusive Sasquatch. There were five bags of it on the shelf. My coconut stockpiling instincts immediately took hold, and I grabbed them all. With nervous trepidation I asked the check-out gal if this was an item that they carried throughout the year. Yes, they do. Hallelujah, I put back three bags and rid myself of thoughts that Oprah's camera crews would be knocking at my door with intentions of capturing coconut spilling out of the drawers at the crazy hoarder's house.

With coconut in hand, I started thinking of what I could make at home that would channel the taste of summer. I came up with this little ditty and it was a home-run.

Mango Coconut Chili Shrimp


About 1 lb. peeled/deveined raw shrimp
2 cups fresh or frozen mango cubed
1/2 cup shredded UNSWEETENED coconut
1 cup chopped onion
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. red chile flakes
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 TBL. vegetable oil (I use canola)
3 TBL. soy sauce (I use low sodium)
2 TBL. lime juice

Heat oil in pan over medium heat and saute onion until it's translucent. Once that's done, throw that garlic in, and let that cook for about three minutes. You can simultaneously add the shrimp, coconut, chili flakes and mango at this time. Cook until shrimp transforms to the color of Molly Ringwald's dress in Pretty in Pink. I absolutely prefer cooking with raw shrimp. If you overcook cooked shrimp, the texture is tough and reminds me of eating yesterday's chewed gum. Add soy sauce and lime juice and mix throughout. Give it another 2 minutes and then plate. Sprinkle with cilantro, a little bit of the coconut on top and serve with jasmine rice.

You will love it. It will take you from this frigid tundra to a sun soaked destination. With every chew, you will hear the crashing of the waves. Please remind me, why do I live in Wisconsin?

Oh, and everybody go shop at East Indian Emporium on Lathrop Ave. in Racine. Because if this economy allows for this business to go under, I will be one very mad unsweetened coconut deprived maniac.

6 comments:

  1. OMG, my mouth is watering, I will be making this one and be heading over to the East Indian Emporium! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it turns out Amy. We all loved it over here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would that be the place on Taylor??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know...I have a few recipes that called for "unsweeted coconut"...I thought it was made up or something. Cute blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Giddygoat, nope, it's on Lathrop, just a little bit south of Tacos El Rey, on the same side. Melissa, thanks for checking out the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, I meant Lathrop. I know exactly where that place is. I've heard more than one person mention it before. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete