Friday, January 29, 2010

.....just thinking

As I post on my blog, I ponder if this endeavor will pan out in the end with what I truly am seeking, a job at Taste of Home magazine. I know that this blog has only been in existence for a few short weeks, but constantly wonder if anyone over there is reading it. I have had two people contact me in the last couple of weeks mentioning that they know someone who knows someone who works there. So the game of Six Degrees begins.

It's funny the most unusual circumstances can land you a job. After I graduated from college, I decided to go travel abroad for a while and planted my feet firmly in Prague, Czech Republic. I speak Czech and many of my relatives live there, so it was an easy decision. After breathing in all wonderful things that Prague has to offer, I knew that I had to stay for an indefinite period of time and put my degree to work.

My degree is a BA in Journalism with a focus on advertising, so I started sending out my resume to all int'l ad agencies that had offices in Prague. My goal was to land a job at Saatchi & Saatchi. I had learned about Saatchi in school and did a paper on PSA's, with a focus on the Pregnant Man poster that had garnered S&S many accolades and awards.

I got a call from almost all the agencies where my CV was sent, except Saatchi. I was ready to accept a position elsewhere, and finally that call from Saatchi & Saatchi came. Somebody finally took notice of my resume and thought I was worthy of an interview. Where did they find my resume? In the garbage can. I won't name any names, but apparently this person deemed the circular file as the proper place where the resume belonged. A little angel named Lida Walsh had haphazardly thrown something away and was digging in the trash when she came across this crinkled up piece of paper. She immediately called me in, interviewed me, and a week later I had my dream job.

So, if I can land a job from someone digging in the trash, surely this blog can help me too, right? I hope so. And, it's not like the hiring folks over there even have to do any dumpster diving.

Let me just end this with a little six degrees that should tie up this post with a pretty, shiny bow. One of the founders of Saatchi & Saatchi, Charles Saatchi, is married to Nigella Lawson. She is neither a trained chef nor cook, and assumes a distinctly relaxed approach to her cooking. Her cooking empire includes TV shows, multiple cookbooks, and a line of kitchenware. Hey, Nigella, I worked for your husband. Can I get a shout-out over here??

4 comments:

  1. Have you considered taking your blog on Facebook and then using Twitter too?
    You could be a virtual TOH walking advertisement. A huge cheerleading base will help you too. Make TOH silly not to hire you because of the thousands of people in your circle who are rooting for you. How silly are you willing to get? Flash mob coordinated and videotaped in the parking lot of TOH? T-shirts printed up.... What about your blog banner? That should reflect your TOH ambitions too. What about outfittting your car/van/truck with a "Hire me TOH" decal. Racine Sign Shop does good work. I know some of these ideas verge on insanity but I think you need to get the big press on your side for 10 minutes of fame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Amanda and besides, I've always wanted to be in a flash mob.

    Understand the doubting but you'll get there or wherever "there" is supposed to be - maybe it's not even TOH - maybe it is somewhere even better that you never had even thought of.

    And this endeavor will make you a better cook regardless. Keep trucking along! You are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, thanks for all your suggestions. I'm not sure how brave I am to try some of these, but definitely food for thought. Karri, are you ready to stalk up close this week?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also have you thought of 365 days of TOH? Dedicate yourself to just making TOH meals for a whole friggin' year?? Then review the recipe and grade it (all the recipes getting C or higher, hah) but then directing people to the link of the annual book for which every recipe is in. Or something like that.

    ReplyDelete